About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 11 April 2023

Easter at Winterbourne

I wanted to wander somewhere lovely to mark Easter Day, since walking is worship and spring is resurrection, so I went back to Winterbourne to do the lovely dog-friendly walk there, only now six weeks further into the season.





This time Cwtch and I were accompanied by the Northerner, and the blackthorn was in full bloom. 


St Michael's, Winterbourne on the skyline


Ash flower-burst


The skylarks were out in full force and very noisy




Monks Pool, starred with celandines, seemed a lot less brooding than it had the first time Cwtch and I visited.



From Monk's Pool we walked through part of Bradley Brook Nature Reserve. The water was very clear in parts.


Bradley Brook


Brittlestem, I think ...


... and turkeytail


celandines and red dead nettles, speedwell, greater stitchwort and dandelions, forget-me-nots, bluebells, ground ivy, primroses, daisy with blowfly, a dandelion growing on a tree, alkanet and celandine, violet, vetch


Common Carder bumble bee, brimstone and tortoiseshell butterflies



This blackthorn at the side of the brook is full of flower and lichen and very atmospheric.



A rare incidence where we're waiting for the Northerner to catch up.


I know the default is to call lamas lamas even when they're alpacas, but these are large beasts and I'm sure lamas are what they are.


This is such a lovely walk, we'll be back again in a few weeks, when spring turns to summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment