About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Friday 28 September 2018

Twmbarlwm the easy way

I love Twmbarlwm. It has a feel about it. The views of the River Severn and the Bristol Channel from the top are familiar but at the same time strange, being in reverse from the ones I'm more used to on the opposite side. But the last time I climbed it, from Cwmcarn Visitor Centre, it nearly killed me. So this time we ascended from the much higher car park round the back, which we only noticed after we'd summited last time. 


'Summited' is ironic, of course. The whole hill is only 1,375 feet. But I am somewhat elderly these days. And it's still quite steep this way up too, though far shorter a route. 


Evidence of the wildfire that raged on Twmbarlwm (and the surrounding hills) during the summer heatwave was clearly visible, both as we climbed and at the top. 


Looking over to Cwmbran


It was a very different sight from early May when we made our first climb.


Here's a couple of before and after photos.




We decided to walk the bounds of the Iron Age hill fort on the summit. 



The views were still beautiful, although a lot of young trees have been lost. 
Clearly some wildlife survived, though. 


Looking over to the River Severn ...









Back down to the car park and home





No comments:

Post a Comment