About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 4 December 2012

How To Speak Poetry with Leonard Cohen

I've been to quite a few poetry readings lately, as well as participating in several. I don't consider myself a performance poet - I have a horrible feeling that as soon as I stood in front of a mic without a piece of paper or a book in my hand, my brain would head for the exit - but I'm not averse to a bit of arm waving and breast beating from those who are.  

But the one thing I really can't stand is when people read intensely and v-e-r-y  v-e-r-y  s-l-o-w-l-y, pausing after every three words to let their significance sink in, even if they are only by way of or he took a, or - if you are reading Billy Collin's 'Paradelle for Susan' was my into ... it was with ... to to.

Let's hear it for Leonard Cohen who tells us exactly how we should speak poetry in this piece called ... erm ... 'How to Speak Poetry'. 




No comments:

Post a Comment