About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 26 March 2011

Going Postal: the Anti-Cuts March

Jenny, Will and I became honorary postal workers for the day and hitched a ride to London on the CWU coach.  Well, it is March, after all.  


One of these flags was part of the demonstration and one was on a souvenir stand. They made a intriguing combination.  





I'm going to post a selection of my favourite banners, placards and scenes.




Our honorary union for the duration.



On the Embankment.







Jenny interviewing a nurse from Cornwall for Student Radio.


A woman alongside me at one point asked about my Keep Elmfield Open badge, and it turned out that she was partially deaf and from Bristol, and we had many mutual acquaintances.  She spoke very eloquently and passionately to Jenny about the effect of the cuts on the Deaf community and disabled people as a whole.







    Jenny and Will on Whitehall.


Parenting disabled offspring can be a lonely job, and it was good to feel part of something much bigger than myself and my kids.

  



                   This implies that somebody somewhere once had expectations ...



Although we saw a series of police vans scream past as we were leaving Hyde Park, we didn't witness any of the trouble in Oxford Street and Piccadilly.  Hopefully the violence perpetrated by a very small minority won't detract too much from the message of 250,000 people peaceably marching together to draw attention to the threat facing this country's jobs and services.

No comments:

Post a Comment