About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
Poet and poetry facilitator. Neurodishevelled. My sixth poetry collection, Love the Albatross, is available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday, 23 August 2026

Westridge and Weston Big Woods

The only place to be in extreme heat is under cover, so when I've taken a break from walking Bristol's feral woodlands this summer, it's been to visit more woods a little further away ...


... like Westridge Wood, up in Gloucestershire, which I last visited with the Northerner in 2017, when his knees still worked after a fashion.


Westridge Wood has the bonus of a hill fort within its confines, the pleasingly-named Brackenbury Ditches. The view from it these days is of trees, but in the late Bronze Age/early Iron Age, when it was built, it would have had a commanding view of the Vale of Berkeley and the River Severn. 





Dead Man's Fingers





There are a lot of splendidly-shaped beech trees in the wood.


Speckled Wood


As well as the lovely wood, I was also there for Tyndale Monument on Nibley Knoll, which I can see from my bedroom window on a clear day, but which I also need to touch every few years or so ...




... not to mention the stunning views of the Severn, its bridges and flood plain, all the way down to - yes - Bristol. 



woolly thistle


sloes


piece of slipware found in the wood


Wotton-under-Edge quarry

And ore recently, given that it's now cooler but still quite humid, my friend Liz and I put off our planned church-hopping trip in south-east Wales until not-summer and decided instead to go for a walk at Weston Big Wood, just outside of Portishead. 




The disused Black Rock quarry, where peregrine falcons nest


The ruins of Manor Farm





Nightingale Valley

No comments:

Post a Comment