About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Thursday 3 October 2019

A Poem for National Poetry Day 2019

It's National Poetry Day today and the theme is truth, which seems a timely choice to me, given that the sort of lying and gaslighting that often characterises abusive domestic relationships is now being demonstrated by heads of state on both sides of the Atlantic.  

Here's a poem about the sometimes elusive nature of truth from my 2016 collection, Breadcrumbs



Variations on the Theme of Truth


I am fluent
in thirteen languages
each one a lie


You force me to lie
by not making it easy
to tell the truth


My lies
are the questions
you don’t ask


I tell you
what you want to hear
I kill you with kindness


Nobody lies
more than you do
to yourself 


My lies are truth, my truth
the only thing that matters
is that you believe me


Truth is, I never lie
I’d say I’m sorry
but I’m not




No comments:

Post a Comment