About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 21 March 2017

A Poem for World Poetry Day 2017

Strange, I thought, and rather unnecessary of the man working in my locallest Oxfam bookshop to pick the very moment I began to browse the one poetry shelf to start lifting books off to make a World Poetry Day 2017 display in an already crowded shop window. The day was half over anyway, and I probably would have bought more than just one slim volume, had most of the books not been whisked away from under my nose. I might have doubled or even tripled their total number of books sold on World Poetry Day 2017.


This was a pleasing find, though. 

Anyway, in a bid to up my poetry quota for the day, I'm going to post one I prepared earlier. It's the title poem of my third collection, Breadcrumbs, and it's about resisting those who would wield complete control over us, whether on a domestic or international scale. It feels particularly apt for these troubling times. 

Breadcrumbs


She’s finished her chores for the week
five spare hours cupped in her hand
takes her hoard to the bedroom

In the kitchen
he’s checking the state of the floor
runs his finger down the counters
slams each gleaming cupboard door
stamps upstairs to glare at her
from the landing

turns as she puts her pen aside
crumples poems into balls
fills her pockets



©Deborah Harvey 2016


'Breadcrumbs' is available from Indigo Dreams Publishing, good bookshops everywhere, and Amazon





No comments:

Post a Comment