About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 11 June 2016

Bishops and Bunnies in Gloucester

With a few hours to while away in Gloucester, we had a best forgotten curry (Saag Cheddar - seriously!) and a wander around an almost deserted city centre.  


  
St Oswald's Priory


Somewhere a football match was taking place.  It wasn't really any of my concern. It was good just to wind down a little from my book launch the previous night.  


  

Beyond St Mary's Gate we came across the monument to John Hooper, Bishop of Gloucester and Worcester, who was burnt at the stake for treason during the reign of Queen Mary.  At that time a huge elm had stood very close to where he was martyred and people watched the proceedings from its boughs. It took three-quarters of an hour for Hooper to die. It is said he asked repeatedly for more fire so that he might die more quickly. 








Rather more cheerfully - if bizarrely - we spotted lots of rabbits running around on the roundabout where Barnwood Road, Corinium Avenue and Eastern Avenue meet. When I got home, I googled them. It turns out they are A Thing and have their own Facebook page. Which I have liked, obviously.  


4 comments:

  1. I understand that the station cat at Bradford on Avon has its own Facebook page too. We tried finding Llanthony Secunda in Gloucester once, it was lost in the industrial zone (or I was) as the best things sometimes are

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh yes, I remember mention of Llanthony Secunda from when we went to Llanthony Proper. The Edgelands harbour all sorts of interesting things.

      Delete
  2. Thank you for the beautiful tour

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Martin - only a quick visit this time, I'm afraid.

      Delete