About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Wednesday 3 July 2013

Leonard Cohen at the O2, 21st June 2013

The only thing better than a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to see one's entire-life idol is a second once-in-a-lifetime opportunity.  



I know because I was at the O2 eleven days ago for what I'm sure this time will be my last chance to see Leonard Cohen play live - as the man himself said, 'our tour is winding down and I don't know when we'll meet again'.



Highlights for me were the fabulous flamenco guitar solo at the beginning of 'Who By Fire' by Javier Mas ...



... and Sharon Robertson's rendition of the beautiful 'Alexandra Leaving', which she co-wrote with Cohen. 



And then there was the giant himself, who skipped and sang and played guitar and the funny keyboard bit in 'Tower of Song' ('You think this is all I can do, don't you?') and as that song points out 'you'll be hearing from me, baby, long after I'm gone. I'll be speaking to you sweetly from a window in the Tower of Song'.



'I taught him how to dress' said Leonard of his friend, the poet Irving Layton. 'He taught me how to live forever.'  

Here's hoping. 





No comments:

Post a Comment