About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Leap Day


Leap Day

Five and twenty past the hour
on a non-existent day
without a season.
An early evening rainstorm
chases molten silver mullions
down each westward-facing window.

For a while I watch it claw
the warp and weft of beaded gauze
blinding a scenery of tarmac, concrete, cloud.
There are landscapes in the rainlight:
glassy worlds meander
in a random stream,

encircle tumuli and earthworks
of a long-forgotten past;
snail trails
becoming frosted footpaths
over empty, unlit hills
from which a people with our faces

traced the swathes of ancient stars,
augurs of when to sow and reap.
I cannot wrap myself in their dreams,
only recognise and keep
a thread of memory
to make this weave complete.



©Deborah Harvey 2011


My poetry collection, 'Communion', published by Indigo Dreams, £6.99 is available from the Indigo Dreams website, Amazon, W H Smith on line and all good independent bookshops.  A selection of my poems are available to read here.  





No comments:

Post a Comment