About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Wednesday 27 January 2021

Oh, I do like to be beside the seaside

I thought I had a good chance of getting vaccinated fairly quickly because of being a support worker for my son, but as it turned out, it was working in a special school that got me the chance of a slot first. And since Southmead Hospital and the BRI are booked up for months in advance, and I clearly can't go to super vaccination centre at Trashton Gate under even life or death circumstances (it's a tribal thing), I happily booked myself into the hub at Weston General. Hooray. A shot of Pfizer-BioNTech and a walk along the beach at Uphill with the Northerner and Cwtch, who would be getting her first chance to see the sea, all legal and lockdown be damned.  

Except that our internet router stopped working on the weekend and its replacement didn't work either and the earliest the engineer could get round was ... yes, the same time as my vaccination, and so I found myself making my way down to Uphill Slipway on my own. And it was raining and misty, and this being the Severn estuary, the tide was so far out I couldn't have seen it even if it had been fine. 

But the first thing I saw as I crossed the little car park (closed) at the top of the beach was a tricoloured border collie puppy, and then I saw a lovely old merle collie, and then a beautiful black and white one that made me think of Ted, and I thought about how lucky I am to have had my first shot and to have another one booked for April, when it might be sunny and our own tri collie pup might get her first run on the sand and mud of Weston. 



Back at home the Northerner was still waiting for the engineer to arrive, but when he did magic was performed and our running speed has apparently increased from 2 to 60. Or maybe that's because along with the Pfizer vaccine, I now have Bill Gates' microchip in my arm. 

No comments:

Post a Comment