About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 17 January 2021

Leigh Woods in sun and mud



Who's this, creeping through the woods at sunrise? Why, it's Cwtch the collie. 


Another Sunday morning, warmer - and therefore muddier - than last week, but still beautiful.


We got up even earlier to avoid as many people as possible, and largely succeeded. 


The views were much clearer than the same outlooks last week, when it was misty and frosty. We could see the River Avon hundreds of feet below in the bottom of the gorge. 


Today I was particularly struck by how colourful winter is in these woods. Of course, it helped that it was sunny.



We walked some way along the ramparts of Stokeleigh Camp.





We had a choice of paths ... 


... and decided to walk alongside the parish wall for a bit before making our way back to North Road. 


There are quite a few beech trees in this part of the wood. I think this one might have beech bark disease though I might need correcting on this. 


Meanwhile, others have been subject to declarations of love, a common fate of beech trees with smooth bark.


I love love Claire Sellars(?)  ... Will love her forever

The date looks like 1789 but I expect it's 1989. Maybe Claire knows the truth of the matter. She must be out there somewhere.



This tree has made a declaration of love all by itself.


























































No comments:

Post a Comment