About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 6 July 2019

Bollocks to Brexit

I'm pleased and honoured to have two poems in this newly published anthology, 'Bollocks to Brexit', which features work from writers across the UK on what Brexit is and how it is affecting individuals, families and communities.  

We live in horrifying times and for a while now I've wanted to channel some of my outrage into my writing, but I've been hampered by the fact that I'm not really a declamatory poet and I don't write invective. With the two poems in Bollocks to Brexit, I found a way of making a political point by referring to earlier historical events in one, and a late mediaeval painting in the other, and this helped to underscore how progress isn’t linear. The Brexit Party MPs emulating the Nazis by turning their backs in the European Parliament the other day was further confirmation of how we are repeating the mistakes of the past.

For more thoughts on politics and poetry, you can read an interview with me by editor Ambrose Musiwiya here.  

  

No comments:

Post a Comment