About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 4 December 2022

Last Exit to Trowvegas

I didn't get to the Kennet and Avon Christmas Floating Market in Bradford-on-Avon this year because Son the Younger was moving back to Bristol and needed someone to help him drive his stuff down from Rugby - that someone being me - so I always had in mind that I'd have to pop over to wherever Dru Marland was moored on the canal to pick up a few Christmas cards for me and the Friend-formally-known-as-'Er-over-the-Road. 

As it was, the printers got themselves a bit overwhelmed with work and Dru didn't manage to pick them up in time anyway, which was a shame, but it did mean there were definitely enough left for me to collect in a 
rendezvous with her on Bradford-on-Avon wharf. And what a beautiful card it is. I absolutely love it. 


Bradford was looking gracious, as usual, even though closer scrutiny of the picture below reveals autumn leaves, Christmas lights and early flowering cherries in blossom, which is a bit confusing and possibly slightly alarming. 



I was also in the locality for a Stanza open mic session run by Josephine Corcoran in Trowbridge, which is known by locals as Trowvegas and is the somewhat down-at-heel bigger cousin of Bradford. 



I really like it, and its 'rich industrial heritage', as they say.


The open mic was held in Bridge House, which is an Arts Centre next to the railway station. I was very taken with the venue, though I had to concentrate very hard on the poetry so as not to be completely mesmerised by the patchwork windows, of which at least two designs were familiar from my childhood home and subsequent places I've lived in. Luckily for me, the poets were good and very welcoming. 




By the time I walked back to the car, parts of Trowbridge were looking a little scary, or at the very least haunted, so I skedaddled back to the bright lights of Bristol in the embers of the day, which is about four o'clock right now ... 


... to warm my chilly fingers on this beautiful fox embellishing the cover of the latest anthology in aid of the League Against Cruel Sports to be produced by my publishers, Ronnie Goodyer and Dawn Bauling of Indigo Dreams Publishing. I'm so very proud to have two poems in it. 



No comments:

Post a Comment