About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 25 February 2020

Second Chance Poetry Place

You can check out of the Poetry Place any time you like, but you can never leave. Especially not now there's a Play Again facility. 

This week Dawn Gorman and Peter O'Grady discuss poems by Wallace Stevens and Alice Oswald, and there's also the interview Dawn recorded with me a couple of weeks ago.  
In it, we talk about where poems come from, and the process of turning them from inspiration into writing that encapsulates the earlier experience and its emotional root. I also read three poems from my new collection, The Shadow Factory.

https://westwiltsradio.com/the-poetry-place/ 

A blog should always be enlivened with a few photos, so I thought I'd post one per poem that I read on the show.

Here's the horse's skull that features in Touchstone. There was a gap of about four or five years between that particular walk and the writing of the poem.


If that's a bit gruesome, have some snowdrops from Holcombe Old Church. A much shorter processing period this time, of about ten months. 


Finally, a link to the actual good dogs of Chernobyl and how they are faring these days.

Plus, another good dog ... of Bristol this time (although here pictured at Land's End).



No comments:

Post a Comment