About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 21 September 2019

A Walk around Deerhurst, Apperley and the River Severn

An unseasonably warm September day. And so to Deerhurst in north Gloucestershire, just south of Tewkesbury and very close to the River Severn.


I visited both Saxon churches here about three years ago but Son the Younger in particular expressed an interest so we visited both.

Odda's Chapel first. 


TED!! Don't you dare!


And then St Mary's.

The last time I visited, it was a Sunday and the Church was being prepared for Harvest Festival, so it was good to have a little more time there.


Rooks and jackdaws above the ruined apse


Then we were off, with Odda's Chapel watching us go ...


... over the first few of very many stiles, off one of which I fell and got nettle-stung and thorn-prickled and covered with those tiny round seed pods (though not this stile, obviously) ... 


... past some beautiful horses ... 


... and on to the Farmers Arms at Apperley, where we stopped for a pub lunch. 


In a field behind the pub we encountered these Tamworth beauties. So glad I don't eat meat and can look them in the eye.


They reminded me of the carved heads back in St Mary's.


View to the Cotswolds


I'm coming to get you!


After completing a zig-zag route past Apperley, we arrived at the westernmost section of the disused Coombe Hill Canal, which was largely screened from view by trees. 


The last stretch of our walk took us back up to Deerhurst via the Severn Way. 


Ted and I have done a lot of walking by the Severn this year, but this was the first non-tidal section. 


Here we had to do some cow-shooing ... 


... and sheep-staring (if you are a herder by nature).  


In my usually trustworthy Pathfinder guide, the overall length of the walk is given as seven miles. Son the Younger's fitbit was already reading nine when we staggered into the garden of the other pub en route, only to be told that it was CLOSED. Gah. 

A few hens next door came over to commiserate. 


But even if I was on my last legs, we were on the last leg.
A glimpse of the Malvern Hills in the distance





Then Odda's Chapel came back into view.


One last glance over the Severn and we left for home.



No comments:

Post a Comment