About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 3 December 2016

The 2016 Kennet & Avon Canal Christmas Floating Market

There were so many cars and coaches heading for Bath when I left the motorway at junction 18 that I kept on driving round the roundabout and rejoined the M4 to get to Bradford-on-Avon via a 10-mile detour through Chippenham. 


The Bath-bound platform at Bradford train station looked pretty busy too. I suppose they were all heading for Bath Christmas Market. What madness, when there was a dreaming, sundering, sonambulant Floating Market on in their very own town! 


I was quite early despite the detour and at first there weren't many people here.


But as the start time of 11am approached, the tow path started to fill up with punters. 


My friend Jan and I waited at Chris and Jinny's table for the off, determined to snaffle the pick of Skyravenwolf's wares for ourselves to give to loved ones for Christmas.  Just as well we did as they were soon inundated with customers. 


It wasn't long before Dru was pretty busy too. I bought my Christmas cards, and then Jan and I repaired to the Lock Inn for coffee. 




Then a quick wander to the Tithe Barn and more stalls in the West Barn where Jan herself had an exhibition a few years back.

It was good to meet up with Sue Meddings and become real life friends instead of just FB friends. 


Then a finger or two of Dru's dark and dangerous Kraken rum and it was time to head back home, with considerably less money in my bag than I'd set out with. But hey - Christmas shopping done. 









No comments:

Post a Comment