About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Saturday 16 April 2016

On the Edge I: The year so far in sunrises


4th January 2016

My new home is on the edge of things, which suits me well. 


25th January 2016

It has a sweeping, eastward view from my bedroom window, and since the New Year there have been some staggering sunrises.

Sunrises - and sunsets even more so - are widely regarded as one of the great clichés of art. I remember learning a passage from Turgenev's 'Fathers and Sons' by heart - in Russian - for my final in Russian 19th century literature, in which the sunset represented the demise of Tsarist autocracy, which would be swept away by the revolutions of 1917.  I was also once set the challenge of writing a poem that described a sunset without resorting to banality.  The poem made it into print, but I'm not entirely sure I was successful.  

11th February 2016  

On the whole, though, I'm with E M Forster, who said 'What is the good of your stars and trees, your sunrise and the wind, if they do not enter into our daily lives?' 


16th February 2016

Although that's as in daily up till now.  I don't think I'll necessarily be rising ever earlier throughout the summer to catch a glimpse of Apollo boy-racing his chariot across the Cotswolds.  


Leap Day 2016


4th March 2016


7th March 2016














So - see you in September, Helios.  In the meantime, here's a few more favourite skies.  

April Fool's Day 2016



13th April 2016


  



14th April 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment