About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 17 April 2016

Cameron Must Go! National Demonstration - March for Health, Homes, Jobs and Education

Very proud to share this report my daughter, Jennifer Drewett, put together following the demonstration in London yesterday. (You won't have seen anything like this on the news, of course.)

Over the years Jen and her brother, who were both effectively written off at the ages of four and three respectively by a diagnosis of severe autism with learning disabilities, have benefited from disability allowances, Statements of Special Educational Need which provided them with access to the education they required, and years of speech therapy from the NHS. One senior registrar once said to me that their progress was a miracle, but I say it was in large part down to our welfare state.


All this is now being swept away by the Tory government. Meanwhile, the rich get richer, the poor pay a hugely disproportionate burden of tax, and the Daily Mail tells its idiotic readers that we should leave the EU and lose the tattered remnants of our human rights. It does my heart good to see that there are still those who will stand up and protest.


No comments:

Post a Comment