About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Thursday 30 October 2014

A Three Hares Pilgrimage Part II

On the way to South Devon for a few days' sojourning, we detour to Iddesleigh, just north of Dartmoor, where St James Church has a three hares roof boss.  I was looking forward to letting myself in with the massive church key, but for once the door was open. 


Here's a photo of the roof boss - not mine because I've no chance of getting a clear photo in a late-October-dark church.  This is Chris Chapman's from the Three Hares Project


I also love the church for its fantastic outlook over Dartmoor.  Sort of Tomb with a View.


This headstone belongs to James Ravilious, son of artist, designer and illustrator Eric Ravilious and a fantastic photographer in his own right. It is good to pay your respects to your heroes.  


And of course I deposited some of Dru Marland's beautiful three hares maps as a free gift - the purpose of this second pilgrimage to the three hares churches.  


Also in Iddesleigh there just happens to be a fine pub, the Duke of York.








If you recognise it, it might be because an encounter in the pub over 30 years ago gave Michael Morpurgo the inspiration to write 'War Horse'.  Since I was last there, there's a new landlord and a poster of the film has joined the collage of James Ravilious photos.


Still selling Winkleigh cider, though ...







  

No comments:

Post a Comment