About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-founder of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My sixth poetry collection, Love the Albatross, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Tuesday 6 August 2024

Arthur (and Cwtch) in Avalon

Off to Glastonbury today to visit my friend, Jan. Jan and her family moved to Glastonbury from Holt in Wiltshire some years ago, but hadn't yet made it to Muchelney with its stunning church, so that's where we went.

The right and proper way to approach Muchelney - unless the Levels have flooded and you need a boat - is on foot, so Jan parked in Langport and we set out along the River Parrett. 


Crossing Huish bridge


The confluence of the Rivers Parrett and Yeo 


Jan with Cwtch and her dog, Arthur


Looking ahead to Muchelney and its church tower


On Law Lane bridge


We had a picnic in the porch of the church, where it was cool and shady for both us and the dogs ... 


... with a glimpse inside of why I'd insisted to Jan we needed to visit.

First, though ... 


'Jan's brought chicken ... she has, Mam! ... Chicken!'

And inside the church, the sight - even though I've been there several times before - that always makes me feel a bit weepy. 


Glorious bare-breasted angels dating from the early 17th century



I can never quite fathom how they survived the depradations of the Civil Wars. Many the Levels were flooded, and Muchelney an island, when the iconoclasts were in the neighbourhood. 


Mediaeval floor tiles


As we passed Muchelney Abbey ... 


... and the Priest's House, with its - as I recall - wonderful Cotswold Arts and Crafts furniture by Ernest Gimson and the Barnsleys, I realised I perhaps need to revisit (whisper it) sans chienne


Then back up the Parrett to Langport, the church tower on the horizon now St Mary's, Langport.


Knowing me, knowing you ... Aha!


Handsome King Arthur


I think this might be a heron feather


Tawny owl feathers from the resident in Jan's barn

No comments:

Post a Comment