About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-founder of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 2 June 2024

A visit to Acton Court

I'd been meaning to visit Acton Court, near Iron Acton in South Gloucestershire for ages, but it's only open to the public for a month every year, and I kept missing the window and only remembering when yet another smug friend announced they'd been there. This year I stalked the website for months, and got my ticket for the opening day. I also told my friend and ex-neighbour, who'd wanted to go there even longer than I had, and she got one too.


So it was with great excitement and no little anticipation that we collected our hand-held audio guides at the reception desk and set off around the exterior of the house and through lovely 'wild' garden.



There might have been one or two Tudor ghosts drifting about, a nod to the most famous episode in the history of the house, when King Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn stayed during the Court's Summer Progress of 1535. (We spoke to them later; one makes Tudor costumes, the other is a gardener there and gave me a pheasant feather.) 

Back to the narrative, though: The owner of Acton Court, Sir Nicholas Poyntz, was so keen to impress his sovereign that he had a whole new wing built in the space of nine months, ready for the two-day visit. 




Common Brimstone 



Moat and garderobe


Buttress doubling as a dovecote


The well


Early bumblebee







the main entrance



There's a fair bit of graffiti with serifs in the porch of the main entrance, including a ship.



The formal garden will look spectacular when the lavender's out in a couple of weeks' time. The Friend-formerly-known-as-'Er-over-the-road and I decided we'd come back next year, only later in the opening month. 



In the house, we saw the dresses of Katherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn, Jane Seymour, Anne of Cleves, Catherine Howard and Catherine Parr that one of the ghosts had recreated from their most famous portraits. (I'm always interested in meeting other people with an obsessive interest in something (unless it's DIY).)

Upstairs in the East Wing, the state rooms built for the King and Anne Boleyn were all the more atmospheric for being empty. I loved the floors, which heaved and swelled like walking across an ocean.






The painted frieze is original, and dates from the Summer Progress. 

There's also some rather more modern grafitti than the earlier examples, drawn on the plaster walls.





Probably a good thing these stairs were cordoned off


King Henry's garderobe, which was only discovered amongst piles of masonry during conservation work in 1994 




Just time for tea and cake before our timed visit was up. I think it's safe to say, we'll be back. 


Pheasant feathers


Corvid feathers

No comments:

Post a Comment