About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 5 May 2024

April Bluebell and Garlic Walks

We were a bit early for bluebells on our first walk in Long Wood on Purdown, in mid-April. Just a hint of what was to come. 




It was great to reacquaint ourselves with this magnificent field maple, though ...  


... and I was fascinated by these beech branches, that were clearly cut from this fallen tree some time ago, but are sprouting a network of leaves over the exposed root plate. I knew willow branches can sprout when stuck in the ground, but had no idea beech would. 



A week later the bluebells were out in abundance, and I also renewed my acquaintance with this wonderful oak tree.


Some of the bluebells were so dark, they were almost indigo.   







The wild garlic was also flowering profusely in Hermitage Wood ... 


... while the magnificent older trees still managed to hold their own against the onslught of floral beauty.




One of the best things about Long Wood and Hermitage Wood is they're just about big enough for you to think you might have got a bit lost, and small enough for that not to be the case. 



an arch of apple blossom


bluebells and wood anemones

In addition, Cwtch and I have also been on a couple of walks at Badock's Wood, a garlic wood with a smattering of bluebells and the bonus of masses of cow parsley. 





Cwtch in buttercups



On the earlier walk, we came across this bench near the furthermost badger sett, which reminded me a little of 'Withdrawn', Luke Jerram's boats in Leigh Woods, back in 2015.

Sadly, a week later it had been reduced to this. A rather more concerted destruction than extermination by badger, I feel. 







Meanwhile, I continue my paddling in the River Trym so that Cwtch can continue to grow in confidence around water, which is really pleasing. 










Finally, in the strip of woodland alongside the old wall and the other badger sett ... 


... another piece of blue and white hoggin, double-sided. A little chip of treasure to take home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment