About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 19 March 2023

Poetrier than thou

Happily, poetry is part of every week, what with the poetry groups I run at Bristol Folk House and the open mic I help to organise, not to mention writing the stuff when that's happening, but some weeks are poetrier than others, like this last one.

It started with getting my contributor's copy of an anthology, 100% of the profits of which are going to Sanctuary Foundation, an organisation which helps relocate Ukrainian people to safety and homes in the UK. It's available from Black Spring Press. 

It continued with my being guest poet at one of my favourite open mics, Under the Red Guitar at El Rincon in Bedminster, which is hosted by Bob Walton and Lizzie Parker, and which seemed to go well. 


I don't have a photo of that evening, as I find it hard enough to concentrate on reading and breathing at the same time, but here's the poster Bob put together to advertise it. 


The finale was yesterday afternoon's reading by Bob at the newly opened Heron Bookshop in Clifton Arcade. First, though, a walk for Cwtch on the Downs.  


View of the Avon from Sea Walls to the Suspension Bridge ... 


... and downstream towards Avonmouth


Cwtch taking in the vastness of the Downs


Kissing's clearly in season with the gorse in bloom ... 


... as is - at last! - the blackthorn ... 


... oh my goodness, the blackthorn!





The Clifton Arcade is a lovely light space, now with a lovely bookshop in it.



Bob being introduced by Lizzie Moss

Bob is much better at multitasking during readings than I am, managing to play an instrument as well as read his poem 'Afon Rhymni', with its wonderful opening line 'There's no river like your first river', AND check the Cardiff City score on his phone. Hats off. 


Cwtch settling in for the duration






See the copy of 'Wild Light' by printmaker Angela Harding, placed directly in my line of vision as I stood in the doorway? That was soon paid for and tucked under my arm.


Cwtch wondering if it's time to go


Meanwhile I'm looking forward to reading at Wells Fountain Poets in a couple of weeks, on Monday April 3rd, upstairs at the King's Head in Wells at 7pm; also with the Isambards on our poetry walk from Electricity House in Bristol City Centre to Queen Square, on Shakespeare Day - Sunday April 23rd - starting at 11am. 

No comments:

Post a Comment