About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Sunday 17 June 2018

Goldney House and Birdcage Walk

Another day, another house connected with the slave trade. This is Goldney House in Clifton.

It was built for the Goldney family, who profited from the manufacture of brass manillas and other items traded for slaves in Africa. 


We were there for the poetry reading section of the Clifton and Hotwells Labour Party fundraiser. And to commemorate the late Bristol-based novelist and poet Helen Dunmore, who was herself a member.

First, though, an exploration of the gardens ... 


... including the shell grotto which is still as creepy as I first found it decades ago.


I was reading poems in the Orangery with Bob Walton and Elizabeth Parker - a few of our own to start with, and then a few of Helen's.

It's a rather grand space. You might remember it from  the second episode of series 3 of Sherlock. Sadly no actor associated with that show was there today.


When everyone had been sufficiently delighted, we walked back to the car ...

... along Birdcage Walk, which, funnily enough, is the title of Helen Dunmore's final novel, and which I shall now elevate to the top of the book mountain next to my bed. 










Just time to fling a passing greeting to my second favourite mulberry tree. Must remember to make some more mulberry and almond vodka this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment