About Me

My photo
Bristol , United Kingdom
I'm co-director of the Leaping Word Poetry Consultancy, which provides advice for poets on writing, editing and publishing, as well as qualified counselling support for those exploring personal issues in their work - https://theleapingword.com. My fifth poetry collection, Learning Finity, is now available from Indigo Dreams or directly from me.

Wednesday 1 May 2013

Topsy Turvy in Somerset and Dorset

Still coughing violently, the invalid was wheeled into the sun today for a May Day Out, on the grounds that a change of scene would do her good.  And it was lovely in an exhausting and really very strange sort of way, not least because this is the first May Day I ever recall with no may whatsoever. And how curious it is to see blackthorn blossoming mightily while other trees are coming into leaf. Everything's topsy turvy this Beltane. 


Elevenses in Somerton.  I think it must be at least 40 years since I was last here and it hasn't changed.






Next stop the Church of St Peter and St Paul in Muchelney to revisit the spectacular angel roof.  













A beautiful broken mid 18th century tombstone at Mucheleny.  

Then on to the Church of Saint Michael at East Coker.  One obvious change since my last visit was the addition to T S Eliot's memorial slab of the name of his widow, Valerie who died last November.

I sat in the churchyard, read 'East Coker' from Four Quartets, realised that T S did in fact seem to be addressing me directly, and grizzled a bit, not because of being unhappy but rather the opposite.  I am so fortunate even when I am coughing my guts up.

Last stop was over the border in Dorset, at Cerne Abbas, where I'd never been before.  And yes, the giant was as winsome as I'd expected, and May Day the perfect day to meet him ...







  













No comments:

Post a Comment