Friday, 27 May 2011

30 Day Poetry Challenge - Days 28 to 30

 Day 28: A poem that you would like to read out loud to the world  

I love poetry which marks the seasons and the great festivals. It seems to act as an anchor to both the past and the passing years.  Eliot's 'Journey of the Magi' is one such poem; I declaim it every Epiphany. I would love to read it to the world, but have to settle for the kitchen table.










Day 29: A poem that makes you feel guilty

'This Be The Verse' by Philip Larkin



Day 30: A poem you'd read to your children


I did read this, from Eric Carle's 'Animals, Animals', to them, so frequently that even now my 17-year-old, a-literary son is almost word perfect. And if I'm ever lucky enough to have grandchildren, I'll read it to them. (Otherwise, Ted is going to have to develop a liking for lullabies ... ) (And good to finish with Rudyard,  whom I dissed right at the start of this adventure into poetry.)





'Seal Lullaby' by Rudyard Kipling







No comments:

Post a Comment