Saturday, 21 May 2011

30 Day Poetry Challenge - Days 22 to 24

Day 22: A poem from your childhood

I fell in love with the words long before I knew what they meant. For all that there was a small pride in the doughtiness of the dirty British Coaster, I was SO disappointed by the third verse. Especially pig lead! It really wasn't fair. (Of course, this was before I realised how a quinquereme was powered; beaten and bleeding slaves do rather lower the romance quotient.) 

'Cargoes' by John Masefield 



Day 23: A poem to read when you're angry

I have anger issues (trouble feeling it).  Here's someone who managed it.

'Daddy' by Sylvia Plath






Day 24: A poem you wish you'd heard being read by its poet

Oh God ... Shakespeare? Coleridge? Keats? Shelley? Blake? And who's to say they'd have read it well?

 

2 comments:

  1. 'Cargoes' never reached me till now, with its beautiful irony intact. Plath still makes me shudder, with something like the emotions Blake's 'Tyger' can inspire, of terror and delight. 'The Tyger' I've never felt as deeply as I do now, although it's the one I have read and heard far more times. Reading it again slowly, and again, as to my beloved, it is wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My father, who left school at 13 and doesn't have a literary bone in his body, introduced me to 'The Tyger' when I was very young by reciting the first verse and telling me how wonderful it was. He was right.

    On the whole, I prefer Plath's calmer, more considered poems.

    ReplyDelete